Tuesday 18 March 2014

Book review - Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens

As part of the book group I am in, We were asked to read Peter Pan. I struggled to find it in a local bookshop, and eventually came across "Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens and Peter and Wendy" by J.M. Barrie.


I have decided to review them separately, as I found them to be quite different books, it wouldn't do them justice to cram them both into the same post.

I had never read these books as a child (and having read them now, I am kind of glad) but I am very familiar with the Disney versions of both Peter Pan and Hook. I think Hook is probably a more realistic portrayal of the books which both turned out to be rather dark.


Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens was quite hard to read at first, I think that was mainly due to the false expectations I began reading the book with. I was expecting a jolly tale of a boy who never grows up, flying about the world and making magic a part of every day life, with a twist of danger! Once I had firmly shut the cartoon Peter Pan out of my mind, I was left with a fairly dark portrayal of baby who floats out of the nursery window and away from the protection of his mother, once in Kensington Gardens doubt destroys his ability to fly, and he is subsequently trapped. 

The short story deals with rejection, community, growing up, and wants & desires that have to be chosen between. I found it to be quite a sweet little story that really picked up on the little details I can remember from my own childhood, but when you read a little further between the lines it's a tale that is filled with a multitude of meanings left wide open to your own interpretation. 

What I particularly liked about this story, was the little girl character, Maimie, is strong, feisty, inquisitive & mischievous. I really loved her!

The version of the book I purchased also had a tiny illustrated map of the gardens which was really nice to look at as you read through story.

I would recommend giving both of the books a read, in sequence, for something a bit different, slightly melancholic, but also rather nostalgic.

No comments:

Post a Comment