Monday 17 March 2014

Book review - A Room with a View

This was the first novel assigned to be read in the vintage book group I attend. I downloaded it on iBooks for around 69p, and to be perfectly honest, I'm glad I didn't spend a penny more, and that I won't have a copy of it clogging up my bookcase.


The book was written by E.M. Forster, and published in 1908. I lost my patience with this book pretty early on. Having read the blurb, describing this book as a "comedy" I was expecting something fast paced, a bit racy and combined with some great characters. What I actually got was frustrating characters, narration which danced about so much that I managed to miss both a snog AND a murder, and a snails pace storyline that left me hoping that something hilarious was about to happen.

Unfortunately I didn't LOL once, and I got so frustrated with the main character (Lucy) that I actually stopped reading. She was your typical female character who was so naive, dainty & clueless that I wanted to thrust my hands into the pages and give her a bit of a shake! She supposedly had all this passion built up inside her, but I found it impossible to believe.

I very rarely stop reading a book, but life is too short to spend time reading something that doesn't pull you in. 

Perhaps I missed the point with this? Perhaps this novel just doesn't possess the same sort of shock factor as it did when it was written (a middle class girl getting mixed up with a working class boy)? I just found the whole thing a bit mild, predictable and slow. Very disappointing, I'd love to hear if you've read it though, what did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment