Wednesday 14 August 2013

What am I making?

I know we haven't known each other for very long, but one thing you need to know about me is that I LOVE a good project. Whether that be craft, DIY, research, anything! I love learning new skills, perfecting old ones and the sense of satisfaction you get from completing something.


Introducing my current project, a navy blue linen summer frock. I bought the pattern second hand from a local vintage shop, the fabric was purchased from Abakhans on the Wirral. I will be making the full skirted version on the left (green), but with the short sleeves & wide neck.


When sewing any dress of this sort, the construction is essentially the same. You start with a bodice. Usually a solid piece, and the back is in two sections to allow for the zip. Shaping is given to the bodice with a small number of darts. These are very simple to do. Essentially they are a pinch in the fabric with is sewn in order to fit the bust & waist better.


This bodice is a little bit different to others. The sleeves are inserted as a raglan sleeve, essentially making the top of the sleeve part of the neck line (like a baseball top). I think this is a really nice detail (if it works out ok) and I think if I use the pattern again, I will perhaps cut the sleeves in a nice contrast fabric to emphasise this feature.


Once you have completed the bodice, the skirt is constructed. A full skirt like this one will require gathers or pleats so it nips in at the waist, while remaining nice and full at the hem. I will more than likely pop some pictures up of this process when I get round to another sewing day!


Judging by the mixed weather we're getting at the moment, i'd best get a wiggle on and complete this dress soon or else the lovely sleeves will have to be covered by think woolly cardigans! Have you got any current projects on the go? I'd love to hear about them!

No comments:

Post a Comment